Appointments to the High Court
At its meeting today, the Government nominated Marie Baker S.C., Max Barrett, Solicitor and Bronagh O'Hanlon S.C. for appointment by the President to the High Court.
The vacancies arise from the sad death of the Hon. Mr. Justice Kevin Feeney in August and the elevation to the Supreme Court of the Hon. Ms. Justice Mary Laffoy and the Hon. Ms. Justice Elizabeth Dunne in October.
The Government has taken the necessary steps to formally advise President Higgins of the nominations in accordance with constitutional procedure.
17 December 2013
Note for Editors
The appointments follow the receipt of lists of suitable candidates from the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board.
Biographical Details for Marie Baker, S.C.
- Born: 1954
- Educated: University College Cork and King's Inn
- Called to the Bar: 1984
- Called to the Inner Bar: 2004
- Accredited Mediator
- Part Time Commissioner of the Law Reform Commission
- Has lectured in contract and commercial law
- Practices mainly in family, civil litigation, commercial law and conveyancing.
Biographical Details for Max Barrett, Solicitor
- Born: 1971
- Educated: Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin and University of Salford (UK)
- Enrolled as a solicitor: 2001
- Accredited Arbitrator
- Practiced as a Solicitor, Head of Legal, SEB International Assurance Limited February 2012 to date; IBRC 2010 - 2012; Danske Bank Ireland 2007-2010; Rabobank Ireland 2005 - 2007; Bank of Ireland 2004 - 2005; Bailhache Labesse 2003-2004; McCann Fitzgerald Solicitors 1998 - 2003.
- Author of numerous books and articles on Irish law and has particular interest in financial services law, advertising law and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing legislation
- Practices mainly in commercial, company and regulatory law.
Biographical Details for Bronagh O'Hanlon, S.C.
- Born: 1951
- Educated: Trinity College Dublin and King's Inn
- Called to the Bar: 1989
- Called to the Inner Bar: 2005
- Accredited Mediator
- Fluent in Irish and French
- Chairperson of the Family Lawyers Association of Ireland
- Member of the Panel under the Garda Síochána Disciplinary Regulations, 2009
- Practices mainly in family law and civil litigation.