Sections of the Department
One of the Department's key functions is to support Government policy on major national priorities. We do this by:
- Providing advice to the Taoiseach
- Supporting long-term planning and inter-agency co-operation
- Ensuring that there is consistency and coherence between policies, and that they are delivered effectively.
Close co-operation within the Department, and with other Departments and outside organisations, is needed to do this effectively.
The following are our current policy priorities:
Responsibility for Tranforming Public Services was transferred to the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform in 2011. Further information is available on www.per.gov.ie
Responsibility for The Knowledge Society and e-Government (a priority under our previous Strategy Statement 2005-2007) was transferred to other Departments in 2008. The Knowledge Society is now the responsibility of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, and e-Government is now with the Department of Finance.
The pre-2008 pages of this website which dealt the the Knowledge and e-Government are available here.
As well as supporting the Government's policy priorities, the Department has the following core tasks:
- providing the Secretariat to the Government,
- liaising with the President and the Houses of the Oireachtas,
- providing Protocol services,
- providing Corporate Support services.