HomeWork Of The DepartmentTour of the Department

Government Buildings


Government BuildingsFoundation stone was laid on 28th April 1904 by King Edward VII. His son King George the V officially opened the building as a college of science on the 8th July 1911. The Architects were Sir Aston Webb and Thomas Manley Dean.

The building is constructed from Portland Stone from Southern England and Granite from Ballyknocken Quarries near Blessington, Co. Wicklow.

The College was taken over by U.C.D. in 1926. In 1989, U.C.D.vacated the building and it was taken over by the Office of Public Works. In March 1990, work commenced on the renovation and refurbishment of the building, and it was handed over to the Taoiseach's Department in December 1990.